Please login to answer

Ask. Learn. Connect with the global BC Community.

Recent Activity

ned weinshenker, Churchill Oaks Consulting

loading canvas on epson 3800

I have the Crystalline satin paper and am having a devil of a time loading it on an Epson 3800. I have tried the main paper load and the front load. I have set the platen to "wider". I hae tried adding a strip of paper to the leading edge....no conistent loading is taking place.
Any tricks to this?

September 20, 2014, 5:03 pm • United States

Answers

CAPTCHA Image   Reload Image
Enter Code*:

Jeremy Baker,
I put a half inch strip of paper on the front edge. I first tried using regular copier paper with scotch tape on the backside all the way across, but i was still having trouble getting the printer to grab. So I got a paper with a bit more substance, and only put small pieces of scotch tape one each edge and in the middle. It takes every time now. I use the rear manual feed. Once the canvas is all the way down put a small amount of pressure on the top edge to help get it started. Make sure to clean any "fuzzies" off the edges of the canvas before putting it through the printer.

September 26, 2014, 4:48 pm • United States

Justin Bodin, Breathing Color
Ned,

It's not easy. The Epson 3800 and 3880 are both notorious for having a very difficult time pulling in sheets of canvas. 

The main issue is that the rubber rollers seem to have a very hard time grabbing on to the leading edge of the paper, hence the trick of using a different-type-of-paper strip instead, to get it started.

I can get the sheets to feed pretty consistently without this, but instead by applying constant, even pressure with my fingers to the canvas sheet right next to the rubber rollers of the printer in the rear-most paper tray. The key is to apply this pressure right when the printer is attempting to pull the sheet in for printing. Like I said, this works pretty consistently for me, maybe 90% of the time.

Hope this helps!

September 22, 2014, 8:42 am • United States

Rules