Please login to answer

Ask. Learn. Connect with the global BC Community.

Recent Activity

Jonathan Russ, J Russ Photography

I may have stumbled on another use for Timeless varnish -- or maybe not. I initially tried coating a print already dry-mounted to masonite, made with a canon ipF6450 on canon glossy paper. Mistake! The pigmentnt, especially green, was lifted by the Timeless (satin), making blotchy puddles and a mess. The print had been dry for days and I was careful to avoid abrasion (lateral movement) of the roller. With nothing to lose, I made a new print of the same photo on canon matte coated paper, figuring I'd try to dry mount it on top of the old. As a preliminary, I put the new print in the pre-heated press (~180 degree F) to drive off any residual moisture without yet using a dry mount sheet. To my surprise, after about a minute it adhered to the coating... smoothly, tightly, with absolutely no bubbles or wrinkles... at LEAST as well as dry mount tissue (and with less mess in a shorter time). I know Timeless can be used for wet mounting, though not preferred. If my observation holds, it seems it might be used (after drying) as a superior relatively low-heat activated adhesive for dry mounting. I'll check this out further. Anyone else done this?

May 20, 2014, 12:51 pm • United States

Answers

CAPTCHA Image   Reload Image
Enter Code*:

Justin Bodin, Breathing Color
Interesting find Jonathan! Not sure I've seen anyone use this as a dry mounting adhesive in this way. Quite nice that it was activated at 180 degrees.

Seems like a great candidate for a potential guest blog post, if you have any interest. :-)

May 20, 2014, 12:59 pm • United States

Rules