Please login to answer

Ask. Learn. Connect with the global BC Community.

Recent Activity

Gill Brodie,

I am using an Epson 9900 printer and printing on to Ilford Gold cotton textured papers. Do I need to liquid laminate my prints if they are going to be framed under UV glass? If so, what is the best product to use and how do I apply it?

April 15, 2014, 3:06 am • New Zealand

Answers

CAPTCHA Image   Reload Image
Enter Code*:

Jeremy Baker,
I print on ilford gold cotton smooth with an epson 3880. I love the texture of the paper but find that it is extremely sensitive to scuffing and abrasion. I use a mixture of 3 parts timeless matte to 1 part timeless satin. I role it on. It will take a few prints to get the correct amount down but once you get it the finish is gorgeous. Timeless really brings out the texture of the paper. They work great together. If you use to little timeless you will get an uneven coating look and potentially some uncoated spotting. If you use to much varnish the texture of the paper gets covered and it looks more like a paint job texture. On a  17"x 27" print I thoroughly saturate a 6" foam roller 3 times. I position the print in a land scape orientation for varnishing. 

September 26, 2014, 4:59 pm • United States

Justin Bodin, Breathing Color
Hi Gill,

Thanks for your message. I'm not sure about Ilford's Gold Cotton paper specifically, but we make our Pura Velvet textured art paper to work with out water-based Timeless varnish that called be rolled or sprayed on the print for an added layer of protection. 

I say I'm not sure about Ilford's because some fine art paper is not water-resistant enough to be used with this type of varnish.

I hope this helps.

April 17, 2014, 11:25 am • United States

Rules