Please login to answer

Ask. Learn. Connect with the global BC Community.

Recent Activity

Mark Huender, The Big Picture

Stretching Crystalline

Stretching Crystalling and getting stress cracks. Some has dried for two weeks and some printed and stretched in hours. Still getting stretch marks?

I have an EZ stretch machine and even when hardly applying any pressure there are stretch marks making the prints un saleble.

I also have a been printing on a 17x40 crystalline roll and about a 1/3 of the prints I can't use because of  black cotton seeds showing through the coating on faces and white backgrounds.  I love this canvas when it works right! when it doesn't it gets really expensive quick and a huge waste of my time.
I had  one 11x14 print hat had 4 cotton seeds that show through the inks.

Did I get a bad batch or is this just normal? I have had similar problems with a 44 inch roll.
I am using all of the BC printer profiles and printer settings using my canon ipf8400.
Any help appreciated, Mark

January 19, 2014, 9:25 pm • United States

Answers

CAPTCHA Image   Reload Image
Enter Code*:

Justin Bodin, Breathing Color
Hi Mark,

What kind of temperature and humidity are you printing and stretching in. Most commonly around this time of year, we see cracking cost by cold, dry climate conditions. In terms of the dry time after printing, you should be fine to stretch within just a couple of hours.

Regarding the cotton seeds, I'd like to get a bit more information on that also. Are you seeing multiple seeds per print? Or is it just that the ones you do find end up showing in a white/light area of the print? I know that it's very inconvenient when this happens. Unfortunately cotton seeds are one of those unruly things with cotton-containing canvas. We do try to limit or cover them as much as possible, though, because we know how inconvenient it is for this type of thing to come up visibly on a print. We've actually just put in place a couple of additional tools during manufacturing to help control these seeds. We're confident that this will help improve this issue going forward.

January 20, 2014, 9:12 am • United States

Rules