Please login to answer

Ask. Learn. Connect with the global BC Community.

Recent Activity

Jonathan (john) Baker,

Bumpy texture on HVLP sprayed timeless. Is this due to equipment, technique or just the way it is?

I am using a cheap (both in price and quality) sprayer: PaintZoom. 
I added a bit of water to the matte timeless, to bring the viscosity down to the acceptable range for my gun, gloss was thin enough as is.  Matte on canvas looks perfect, gloss on canvas looks ok, as the canvas texture hides the spray texture, but I experimented with coating gloss photo paper prints and the results weren't good.  The texture was clearly visible with the gloss varnish, looked like cheap 1 hr photo satin prints.  The matte had a bit less texture and the texture was much less visible, but still there.

The spray out of the gun seems pretty coarse, being more used to automotive sprayers.  The droplets were more coarse than out of a well behaving spray can..
I had no luck in getting the droplet size much smaller through adjusting flow.  Is this how these turbine type sprayers typically are, or is it just that the Paint Zoom is crap?
Anyone tried an automotive type HVLP sprayer?  Is there a major reason not to use these?

Thanks!

December 18, 2013, 2:24 pm • United States

Answers

CAPTCHA Image   Reload Image
Enter Code*:

Justin Bodin, Breathing Color
Not sure if it's related to a faulty gun or not, but I have heard of this type of issue separate from this post before a couple of times.

There is a higher quality gun that I've heard raves about, as it related to spraying print varnish: the Fuji Mini Mite 3. The Fuji is in the $600 price range, but is clearly constructed in much higher quality than the Wagner.

I've heard great feedback on Luminous Landscapes, I believe. You might do some searching around there.

January 13, 2015, 8:07 am • United States

Carter Andrews,
I got a Wagner PaintREADY Station, and I am having the same issue. I cannot get any consistency in texture, no matter what setting I use. I will start a pass and everything looks good, and then suddenly great globs of Timeless come out and drip down the canvas.

There are three potential adjustments: Width of spray (I understand the goal is about 12 inches wide at 10 inches away), fan speed (low or high) and pressure on the trigger. There is a trigger stop which can be dialed in to limit the flow, but it is quite erratic. Seems like the only way to keep the flow misty instead of globby is to barely pull the trigger, but even then in the middle of the spraying, it will lurch into spraying globs. I am sticking with the lower air flow for now, because that seems less likely to send out too much varnish, but I am at a loss for now.

Maybe I have a bad copy of the gizmo. I have cleaned it thoroughly. Is there a higher end more precise gun I should consider?

January 13, 2015, 7:48 am • United States

Jonathan (john) Baker,
Only adjustment on the Paintzoom is paint flow, no airflow adjustment, and it's either horizontal or vertical fan (no cone shaped, and no adjustment on how flat.)
Even spraying water the droplets were fairly large on the paintzoom, so I'll mess with it a bit with water and see if I can get it to behave.  If not, I'll be on the lookout for sales on auto HVLP guns.

Thanks for the advice.

December 28, 2013, 6:07 pm • United States

Justin Bodin, Breathing Color
Hi Jonathan,

That type of texture with Timeless using an HVLP is certainly not to be expected. That texture, and the mist coming from the gun not quite being fine like you mention is typically caused by a few different factors: 1) Too high of a coating flow 2) Too low of an airflow 3) Dirty nozzle, or one that doesn't allow the correct adjustment/flow to exit.

Does your PaintZoom allow you to adjust both the flow of Timeless as well as airflow, or just an airflow adjustment? What are these settings at currently?

Does your nozzle allow for a flat fan pattern, or just a cone-shaped mist? What is it set at currently?

Here's the way I typically setup a new gun. Fill the hopper with water and adjust the air and coating flows until when standing about 12" from the print, the fan is about 12" in diameter. Some slight adjustments will probably be necessary once Timeless is used, since it is thicker, but it is a great starting point.

You should be perfectly fine using an automotive-type HVLP to spray Timeless. You'll just want to make sure it's internals are spotlessly clean before use. Also, you'll want to make sure filters are setup properly inline so that you don't get any oil contamination from the compressor. Also, makes sure you drain the compressor tank(s) on a regular basis. This type of gun might actually give you MORE control, since they typically offer both varnish flow control as well as airflow, when many turbine-driven guns simply allow for air control.

December 26, 2013, 7:17 pm • United States

Rules