Epson 9800 Information
EPSON 9800 General InformationIn this article we willl introduce the Epson Stylus Pro 9800 and recommend award-winning inkjet canvas and fine art papers, manufactured by Breathing Color, specifically for this Epson printer.
The 44-inch Epson Stylus Pro 9800 professional wide-format printers utilizes a breakthrough new 8-color ink technology (K3 ink) that has to date fueled massive sales of the giclee printer.
The Epson 9800 is used for giclee printingand offers uncompromised print quality and its price point is currently unmatched in the inkjet printing industry today. Rivals such as Roland, HP, and Canon have not yet responded with a product that has singificantly affected the industry-wide growth and word-of-mouth momentum of the Epson 9800 printer.
Epson UltraChrome K3™ ink technology utilizes eight new color pigments, including a new three-level black technology, which significantly increases the potential quality output for professional color and black and white prints. According to Epson, these inks offer the widest color gamut of any ink currently available on the marketplace (an increase of approximately .2 Dmax to the Ultrachrome). The addition of the third black ink now allows the Epson 9800 printer to produce true monochrome (black and white) inkjet prints. The new Epson k3 inks also utilize "High Gloss Mircocrystal Encapsulation Technology" which comes built into the Epson 9800 printer and serves to minimize bronzing on glossy papers.
One can utilize the Epson 9800 to produce archival giclee art reproductionwith amazing color integrity, gloss-level, and scratch resistance.
furthermore, the Epson 9800 produces professional neutral and toned
black and white prints with higher density levels and virtually no
metamerism or bronzing. The Epson Stylus 9800 utilizes a 1-inch wide
printhead, and therefore produces almost twice the print performance of
the previous model line (Epson 9600). Furthermore, the Epson 9800
delivers an astonishing resolution of 2880 x 1440 dpi. The Epson 9800
is capable of handling almost any media type, in roll or cut sheet, up
to 44-inch wide. The most popular media type used is giclee canvas for giclee canvas art (or, a canvas gallery wrap).
How to Print Borderless on an EPSON 9800For borderless printing, the Epson print engine enlarges the image size slightly (about 5 percent or a bit less) to ensure that the image is not printed with any white edges due to paper misalignment. You can minimize the clipping by resizing your image to actual paper size (e.g., 13" x 19", 4" x 6"), and then setting Print with Preview to center the image and print it at 96% of actual size. The clipping dialog still comes up (it will whenever you are printing in the printer's defined margins), but tell it OK. You can try using 95% if there is still too much clipping.
EPSON Stylus Pro 9800 Key ResourcesWhere To:
- Buy the Lowest Cost Genuine Epson Ink for the Epson 9800
- Download Free Epson 9800 ICC Profiles | Colorbyte ImagePrint ICC Profiles
- Try Award-Winning Inkjet Canvas Designed for the Epson 9800
- Try Award-Winning Fine Art Paper Designed for the Epson 9800
- Try Giclee Varnish for Your Epson 9800 Canvas Prints
- Instructional Video: How to download, install, and use Epson 9800 ICC Profiles - PC | Mac
- Instructional Video: How to Apply Glamour II Canvas Varnish to Canvas Prints:
PC (Windows Media Player) - 5 second Download (for quick viewing)
MAC - (Quicktime) - 5 second Download (for quick viewing)
- Instructional Video: How to adjust Platen Gap to avoid scuff marks, loading issues, etc.
- Instructional Video: How to Print Epson 9800 ICC Profile Targets for Profile Creation:
PC | Mac
- How to use Epson 9800 ICC Profiles in Photoshop
- How to Print Borderless on an Epson 9800
- How to Change From Matte Black Ink (MK) to Photo Black Ink (PK) on an Epson 9800
- Should I use Matte Black or Photo Black with my Epson 9800?
- Epson 9800 Printer Substrate Compatibility
- Read Other Helpful Articles on the Epson 9800
- Quickly Submit a New Question about the Epson 9800 to Our Technical Support Staff
*We will investigate and add the answer to this list
Need More Information or Assistance on the Epson 9800? Call 1-866-722-6567 Today.
EPSON 9800 and Inkjet Canvas Our very own award-winning Chromata White Inkjet Canvas, an optical-brightener free, museum-grade matte poly cotton
blend that is a stand-alone performance leader in dmax (black density), color gamut, and Epson Canvas,
and was specifically designed to achieve maximum color gamut and black
density with the new epson K3 inks. The combination of the Epson 9800
printer and the Brilliance Chromata White inkjet canvas using matte
black inks will produce the highest quality fine art prints on the
market today. This canvas comes with an Archival Quality Certificate
AWARD-WINNING INKJET CANVAS BY BREATHING COLOR
If you are new to Breathing Color and would like to test this product, we highly recommend that you take advantage of the inexpensive Trial rolls offered.Trial rolls are priced at cost, and at times below our cost in order to encourage our customers to try our award-winning products for a minimal investment. Trial rolls are provide enough product so that our customers can sufficiently run tests and create samples. CUSTOMERS MAY ONLY PURCHASE ONE TRIAL ROLL PER PRODUCT. Customers who do giclee printing use this canvas for fine art giclee printing - giclees and/or canvas photo.
EPSON 9800 and Inkjet Fine Art Paper Our very own Elegance Velvet, Platinum Edition Fine Art Paperis optimally suited for use with the Epson 9800 printer. The
combination of the Epson 9800 printer and the Elegance Velvet Fine Art
Paper produces absolutely astonishing black and white inkjet fine art
prints, as well as color prints. Elegance Velvet Fine Art Paper was
designed specifically for the Epson K3 inks. Epson 9800 and the
Elegance Velvet Fine Art Paper should be utilized by quality driven
fine art printmakers who demand nothing less than the best. This paper
comes with an Archival Quality Certificate
AWARD-WINNING FINE ART PAPER BY BREATHING COLOR
EPSON Stylus Pro 9800 Specifications:Printing Method:
• 8-Channel Print Head Technology
• 8-Color (C, Lc, M, Lm, Y, Lk, LLk + PK or MK) pigment based ink
• Variable-Sized Droplet Micro Piezo drop-on-demand ink jet with AMC™ technology
• Color and Monochrome heads: 180 nozzles x 8
Epson Ink Technology:
• Epson UltraChrome K3™ Ink Technology
• Smallest droplet size: 3.5 picoliter
• Variable Droplet Technology can produce up to three different sizes per print line
2880 x 1440 dpi; 1440 x 720 dpi; 720 x 720 dpi;
720 x 360 dpi; 360 x 360 dpi; 360 x 180
Print Engine Speed:
• 8" x 10" prints from 50 secs to 6:25 – Normal is 3:17¹
• 11" x 14" prints from 1:44 to 10:55 – Normal is 5:35¹
• 16" x 20" prints from 4:07 to 18:57 – Normal is 9:46¹
Acoustic Noise Level:
• Approximately 50 dB(A) according to ISO 7779
Printer Language / Drivers:
• Epson ESC/P2 raster photographic drivers standard
• Optional PANTONE. licensed and SWOP. certified PostScript. Language Level 3™ Compatible RIP by ColorBurst. (included only with Pro Edition bundle)
• Supported by most leading third-party RIPs and workflows
Operating Systems Supported:
• Macintosh. Panther 10.3.9 or higher, Tiger 10.4 or higher
• Windows. 2000 or XP (Pro or Home Edition)
• Includes one USB (1.1 and 2.0 compatible), one IEEE1394 FireWire® and one Epson Expansion Slot used for installing the optional internal 10/100 BaseT Ethernet card
* (Ethernet included in Pro Edition Bundle).
• 3.4"(W) x 14"(H) x 30"(D)
• Printer weight: 83.7 lb
• Left and right borderless “bleed” printing for the following roll media widths:
8.3", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 17"
• Top and bottom edges can be automatically cut to any length three
different ways during printing on roll media.
• Maximum paper width 17"
• Left and right margins 0 or 3mm each (0.24" total)
• Top and bottom margins 0 to 25mm each
• Maximum printable width 17.16" (full bleed 17" width)
• Maximum printable length Limited by application, operating systen and driver/rip used
• Roll media size Single roll up to 17" width
• Roll media length Up to 132' (limited by core dia.)
• Cut sheet input tray size Up to 17" x 22"
• Cut sheet media input Up to 250 sheet tray, top and rear manual feed slots
Media Core Compatibility:
• Media core compatibility: Handles both 2" and 3" cored media
• Max. roll media diameter 4" (2" core) or 6" (3" core)
• Weight 12 lb bond up to 1.5 mm posterboard
• Built-in media cutter: Automatic and manual cutting
• + or - 0.2% of specified page length
Epson Intelligent Ink Cartridge
Ink Cartridge Size:
• 110ml or 220ml each color x 8 colors total
Ink Cartridge Life:
• Ink cartridge shelf life: 2 years from printed production date or 6 months after open.
• Epson UltraChrome K3 Ink
• Color: Up to 108 years²
• B&W: Over 200 years²
• Operating 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
• Storage -4° to 104° F (-20° to 40° C)
• * Operating: 20 to 80% relative humidity
• Recommended 40 to 45%
• Storage: 5 to 85% relative humidity (no condensation)
Safety standards: UL1950, CSA 22.2 950 FDA
EMI FCC Part 15 subpart B class B,
CSA C108.8 class B
AS/NZS 3548 class B
Print Head Life:
* First Major Maintenance Interval (number of 8" x 10" prints)
* 720 x 720 dpi 45,000 prints
* 1440 x 720 dpi 29,500 prints
* 2880 x 1440 dpi 15,200 prints
* When printing in uni-directional mode the above numbers are reduced by half
• ~2,000 cuts (coated media)
• Pump unit, flushing box, head cleaner, cap assembly
• AC120V or (220V to 240V)
• 50 to 60 Hz
• 1.0A / 100-120V
• Approx. 59W (operating)
• <21W (standby)
• < .7W (power off mode)
• Energy Star Compliant
* ¹ Normal mode based upon SuperFine - 1440 dpi Test results based upon print engine speed only. Total throughput times depend upon front-end RIP, file size, printer resolution, ink coverage, networking, etc.
* ²Ink lightfastness rating based on accelerated testing of prints on specialty media, displayed indoors, under glass. Actual print stability will vary according to media, printed image, display conditions, light intensity, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not guarantee longevity of prints. For maximum print life, display all prints under plexi, glass or lamination or properly store them.
Visit www.wilhelm-research.com for the latest information
Epson 9800 employs the Ultrachrome inkset (8 color pigment inkset). By
doing so, Epson has focused on solving some of the traditional problems
with pigmented inksets, such as limited color gamut (particularly in
the reds) and metamerism (prints shifting color in different lighting
environments). The Ultrachrome ink drops are individually coated with
resin, allowing them to sit on the coated media more smoothly and
largely minimize metameristic effects. Variable drop size delivery
ensures very smooth tonal range and gradations. And the reds (and
almost all other colors) are incredible.
Please also visit these other helpful pages on the Epson 9800 Printer:
Epson 9800 General Information
Epson Stylus Pro 9800 Media Options
Epson UltraChrome K3 pigment ink technology, for Epson 9800, Epson 7800, and Epson 4800Epson 9800 ink and media
Epson 7800 / 9800 Ink K3 Cyan 220ml - Overview
To Learn more about giclees and the giclee printing process, here are some general articles to check out:
Giclee, Giclees, and Giclee Art Information
Giclee Canvas Art, Giclee Canvas
Giclee Printing, Giclee Print, Giclee Prints
Giclee Art Prints, Giclee Art Print, Fine Art Giclee
Giclee Art Reproduction, Giclee Reproduction, Giclee Reproduction